Saturday, September 13, 2008

Aki Matsuri (Fall Festival)

Time to party like it's fall.  Oh yeah.  Well, not so much in the way of party.  But it was fun.  We went to the Eastside Nihon Matsuri Association's Aki Matusri (visit them at enma.org).  It was pretty cool.  Lots of demonstrations and displays of traditional Japanese crafts and arts.  Everything from Ikebana to taiko to sumie.  It was fun to look through it all.  We even bought some art to decorate our humble abode.  Here's some pictures to look at.

Myself and my masterful brush strokes.


I thought this bonsai was pretty amazing.  It's growing around the rock!

And what festival would be complete without Kitty-chan?  

And kendo.  I really want to try it sometime.  Whacking someone with a bamboo sword just seems so much fun.  There were many martial arts demonstrations like aikido, kenjutsu, judo, karate, kyudo, ect.



1 comment:

Littleshortstacks said...

Hey Chris! I just found your blog. It looks like you guys have had a great summer! I'm jealous of your garden. There isn't much of a chance to do that out here in DC.
I saw you have a link to Phil and Heather Hamer. How do you guys know them? I just got to know them this past year while they were in my ward. It's a small world in the LDS community huh?